Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Pay Rate*: $24.21/hour
Annual Equivalent to $50,586 (not negotiable)
*Does not include bilingual differential pay
Emerge Center Against Domestic Abuse has begun an organizational process of transforming philosophy and practice to acknowledge the root causes of violence as being embedded in multiple, intersecting systemic oppressions (sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, classism/poverty, able-ism, and anti-immigrant sentiment).
These conversations directly impact the climate and culture of our organization and are tied to the climate and culture in our community related to violence as a normalized experience. We are seeking team members across the organization who understand that humanizing the experience of all people is a radical act in a non-profit system and who are willing to be a part of transforming our organizational culture to be a more antiracist multicultural institution.
We are seeking job applicants who understand it is our responsibility to ensure that our responses to domestic abuse must include the experiences of those who are most in need and who have the least amount of access to help and support and who can work in an environment that is rapidly changing.
We’re committed to making our community a safer place for everyone. Join us!
The Accountant may be responsible for General Ledger, Accounts Payable or Accounts Receivable. This position, working under the direction of the Director of Finance, may also assist with tasks including monthly billing, month end processes and reconciliations, annual audit preparation, gift card tracking, etc. This position will act as the finance point of contact for various duties as assigned and other activities when the Director of Finance is unavailable. This position will have exposure to information which is confidential in nature. Privileged and proprietary information must be kept confidential during and after employment. Examples of where this confidential information may be derived from include, but are not limited to electronic communication (e-mail, text message, etc), personal conversations and documents an individual has access to. Unless specifically directed by the CEO or a Vice President, confidential/ privileged information will not be shared with any other individual, both inside and outside of Emerge. Care shall be taken to keep verbal conversations about confidential information out of earshot of others, and that documents containing confidential information are not left in the open or inadvertently shared.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
RESPONSIBILITIES COMMON TO ALL AGENCY EMPLOYEES
- Commits to upholding the agency’s mission, vision, community guidelines and values. We value diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging in all that we do.
- Engages in radical service to, and acceptance of, staff and participants as they are by committing to showing up with integrity and love and encouraging all to use their power to affect change.
- Commits to creating and maintaining a safe, equitable, trauma-informed, and healing work environment for all participants and staff members.
- Commits to a culture of understanding how our collective actions affect participants’ efforts to regain their independence and rebuild their lives.
- Assesses potential crisis situations responding to, and accurately documenting, in an equity-centered and trauma-informed manner while notifying appropriate personnel as soon as possible.
- Follows all protocols and practices of Emerge programs, as well as all city, county, state, and federal rules.
- Displays an ability to identify problems and generate a range of solutions utilizing creativity, collaboration, open communication, and critical thinking skills.
- Champions the organization’s culture of feedback by consistently providing and seeking feedback and encouraging others to do the same.
- Maintains confidentiality of shelter sites and information pertaining to all staff, participants, and visitors.
- Dedicated to personal development, furthering knowledge, services, and approaches to better meet the needs of participants and staff.
- Strives for innovation incorporating new tools, practices, and mindsets that support relationship building, rest, restoration, and healing; not only for collective liberation but also for our individual wholeness, freedom, and ability to thrive.
- Attend all meetings and trainings as required.
- Generates reports from Excel, FundEZ, and other software as needed
- Assists Director of Finance with various administrative tasks as needed, and will be assigned finance related projects periodically
- Responsible for production needs such as copies, packets, manuals and other projects as needed
- Assists with preparation of annual audit including all required schedules
- Ensures all appropriate documentation related to the position is organized, filed and maintained, in a timely manner
- Adheres to agency policies and procedures and all City, County, State and Federal regulations
- Attends all meetings and trainings as required
The Accountant will work as part of a team and will be primarily responsible for some of the following tasks and will be backup on others:
- Processes all A/P invoices/bills to ensure proper approval and back-up documentation is obtained in accordance with Emerge’s Procurement Policy
- Prepares A/P checks on weekly basis and distributes as appropriate
- Monitor Check Request email box and process all check requests, prioritizing “rush” requests related to meeting participant needs, which could be daily
- Maintains vendor files, the vendor lists and Az State tax exempt status for those vendors by completing the appropriate certificate and forwarding to the vendor.
- Serves as primary vendor and employee contact for A/P and check issues. Responsible for researching and resolving those issues
- Coordinates 1099 information for all vendors and processes 1099 filings at year end
- Responsible for the distribution and tracking of all agency credit cards, in conjunction with policy
- Reviews all reimbursement requests and other employee requests for accuracy and proper backup documentation and coding
- Provides backup for processing electronic bank deposits at the front desk
- Prepares manual bank deposits when necessary with cash or when the deposit cannot be made electronically
- Monitor in-coming bank transactions and ensure backup documentation is maintained and all deposits or ACH transactions are entered into the accounting software with the proper coding
- Delivers manual deposits to the bank when necessary
- Prepare bank reconciliations (specifically for the staff who is NOT depositing funds)
- Reconciles General Ledger accounts as necessary
- Tracks and reconciles gift card and laundry fund transactions in their respective logs, and creates monthly reports with updated accounting for what gift cards and laundry funds remain on-hand for use in internal audits
- Coordinates internal audits of gift cards with staff
- Process regular journal entries and other general ledger transactions on an accrual basis in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and government standards
- Assist with Grant billings and research expenses related to program budgets
- Provides support with data entry related to incoming funding, in partnership with the Development department, as needed
- Provide reports from Accounting system when needed by Directors or Managers
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS – Any combination of at least 5 years of work, professional or life experience (personal), in the following areas
Note: Emerge recognizes that the required skills and knowledge needed for this position can be derived by formal professional experience as well as other life experience outside of a professional setting. Qualified applicants will be asked to make a direct connection between their work or life experience and the required qualifications below. We also value the added foundation that formal education can provide, however, any years spent in an educational institution will not
count directly toward the number of years required or preferred.
- Working knowledge of current accounting, bookkeeping, and payroll procedures
- Experience using accounting software
- Experience using payroll processing systems
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to confront racist, homophobic and transphobic behavior/comments in any setting
- Ability to build authentic relationships with team members, supervisors, and program participants through practices such as listening to gain deeper understanding, being vulnerable and engaging in giving and receiving feedback
- Ability to examine your own privilege and connections to power and/or oppressions so you can work in service and consideration of the entire humanity of others
- Ability to function in a complex institution and systems with a focus on problem solving and adaptability
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS – Any combination of at least 2 years of lived/life experience (personal), work or professional experience in the following areas
- Knowledge of principals, concepts and practices of accounting in non-profit organizations
- Experience using Paylocity for payroll processing
- Experience using FundEZ accounting software
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Excellent computer skills including e-mail, calendars, document processing, spreadsheets and databases
- Demonstrates skill for accuracy and thoroughness
- Ability to monitor own work to ensure quality and apply feedback to improve performance
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, and deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work well independently and be self-motivated
- Ability to obtain appropriate fingerprint clearance through the Arizona Department of Public Safety
- Ability to obtain CPR/First Aid certification
- Valid Arizona Driver License and proof of automobile insurance
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word to impart oral information to clients or to the public and to convey detailed spoken instructions to other workers accurately or quickly
- Visual acuity and hand dexterity to work with computer systems (monitor, keyboard), reports, and other data sources, reading/entering/processing data and figures
- Ability to use basic office equipment, including computer, fax machine, printers, copier/scanner, adding machine
- Must be able to lift up to twenty-five pounds
- Provide CPR/First Aid
Emerge is an equal opportunity employer