- Find Help
- Answer the Call
- Education & Presentations
- Events & News
- How to Help
Why Don't They Just Leave?
Domestic abuse can affect anyone regardless of age, sex, financial status, sexual orientation or race.
It can be a lengthy process for someone to decide to get help because of the many barriers to leaving an abusive relationship. Some people don’t leave an abusive situation for the following reasons:
- They have a realistic fear that the abusive behavior will escalate and become fatal if they attempt to leave.
- Their friends and family may not support their decision to leave.
- If they leave, they face the difficulties of single parenting and having less (or no) money.
- Along with the manipulation, fear and intimidation, there is a mix of good times, love, and hope.
- They don’t have any information about or access to safety and support.